Home » Territory » Monumental historical heritage

Badia di Tiglieto

Established in 1120, it was the first Cistercian abbey outside France. The complex is a mixture between features of the Ligurian Romanesque and those of the French pre-Gothic typical of Cistercian architecture; the Church, the Monastery and the refectory are on the three sides of the cloister, closed on its fourth by fields.
In the Middle Ages, Friars from Cîteaux favoured the cultural and economic development, working the fields in the area. Nowadays the Abbey has been restored and will soon host again some Cistercian monks.

Municipality: Tiglieto (GE) | View on Map
Badia di Tiglieto
Badia di Tiglieto
(photo by Monica Saettone)
 
Share on
IUCNUNESCOGGNEGNEuroparcFederparchiMinistero dell'AmbienteParchi di Liguria